... and other interesting stories
08.05.2007 24 °C
All of you who have seen my Facebook recently will know that I've gotten a haircut, but I think I should reiterate how long it's been since I've had a proper haircut. The last time I got my hair significantly cut, I'm sure it was last millenium. I guess I must have been in sophomore year of high school, or maybe freshman year because by junior year it was long enough for a ponytail and I had dyed it red. In any case, I got a terrible, horrific haircut that made my hair really short and embarrasing because it was a boy cut on a slightly wavy head of mousey blonde hair. That was probably the last time I cut my hair properly. I've gotten cuts, don't get me wrong, but they've never been more adventurous than layering, and for the most part I've kept it in a ponytail. In fact, when I went into the hair salon, the woman asked me if I wore my hair in ponytails because my hair's growth patterns had been affected by it. Crazy!
At any rate, I've gotten a rather drastic haircut, but it's very short and pixie-like and I adore it. I had my first bad hair day today, after sleeping on it while it was wet. (I will obviously never do that again. Ever.) But otherwise, it takes about five minutes to straighten (that's if I go crazy with it), and two seconds to scrunch up with some hair product. That's just a few minutes up from whacking it in a ponytail, and this is so much cuter!
This photo was taken right after I got back from the salon, and I have yet to manage to get the sides to stay quite so flat against my head, but that's just a matter of standing there with the hair straightener. Mostly, I can't be bothered, and I just let my hair kick out at the sides because that's just as cute if not cuter. My bad hair day today (in which there was a patch at the back sticking up horribly and I couldn't get it to stay down no matter how much product I used) was remedied very easily by a hat, which worked really well with the kick-out parts, and so even when it's misbehaving, I love it! It also seems to be happy with headbands, which I would have been sad to miss.
Haircut Rating: 10/10! The fact I've spent three paragraphs talking about my hair should have tipped you off...
Other interesting stories? Well, they're not so interesting in hindsight! I've got an absolutely full plate and there's nothing I can do about it. I would love to just take some time, just a few days to cool down, but there is no rest for the weary about to graduate. I'm taking tonight off from reading, studying, or attempting to start an essay, because I really feel I deserve it, and also possibly because I'm lazy. Work has been crazy, uni is getting me down, and I just want some time off.
I can complain until the cows come home, of course, but there is plenty great that is going on as well:
- New job is fantastic. People are great, staff discount is incredible (cost price + 10%), and it's always busy and exciting. Haven't officially resigned from the newsagency, but I might end up doing that when the excuse of "uni is too hard!" becomes null and void.
- Related to the whole "new job" thing is the money I'm finally making! I'm two weeks off paying up my credit card (well, maybe three, since I have to buy tickets to another music festival on Monday...), and it just feels GOOD to be making money again. No income + debt = a sad Alex.
- I get to write a paper about homosexuality in late imperial China, and most of the suggested reading list is online and printable. No more photocopy room and reserve bullshit!
- I am officially DONE with university in six weeks. It'll be a long and crazy six weeks, but after that there will be NO MORE! (Until I decide to go back to uni, just for fun, in another country or something, haha.)
- OMG MUSIC! It continues to be my life. I will upload some songs for you all, but I just got the new Vasco Era CD and it is AMAZING and will probably overtake Joel Plaskett in my life. Which is saying something, as I've been listening to Plaskett non-stop for about a month now. And we're going to SEE Vasco on June 1, too, which is amazing! Bob Evans is coming up soom and also Evermore is playing at the Enmore but I still don't have tickets for that one, haha.
- Honorable new music mentions go to: Gotye, Cold War Kids, Maxïmo Park, Aqualung (opening for Evermore, incidentally), Mika, The Fratellis (THE ALBUM IS AWESOME GO BUY IT), Kings of Leon, Whitley, The Kooks, The Decemberists (I didn't like them until The Crane Wife), Arctic Monkeys... and OTHERS!
- TELEVISION is the other half of my life, omfg. I am in love with Doctor Who and need somewhere to unleash my love of David Tennant and his Converse. Also, America's Next Top Model and how crazy is it that they are/were in Sydney, I keep looking out for models. IT'S SURVIVOR NIGHT TODAY and I love Yau Man. Who does not love Yau Man. That isn't even a question, no two people do not love him. There are other shows my family is into but I have only seen a few episodes, which have been amazing: Heroes, Brothers & Sisters, Friday Night Lights... um, and some other stuff I can't think of, but there is a whole lot. Our bandwidth suffers every month.
That's just about it for now! There are other uni-related things, but they are boring and take up my entire mindspace at the moment anyway, so there's no point in putting them out on paper (as it were).
I miss you all, but I'll definitely be back in commission and properly updating by the end of semester. SIX WEEKS AND I GRADUATE, GUYS! SIX WEEKS!